Monday, February 15, 2010

Did You Ever Notice Dad?

Did you ever notice, the less our government has, the more it spends?
Did you ever notice, absolute truth is pure, and relative truth contains a lie?
Did you ever notice, if we spend from our future, we probably won't get there?

This writing completes my first week of blogging on a daily basis. Make the time. Pick the thought. Write! Writing daily reminded me of the quintessential man in my life, my dad. I shared my dad with nine siblings. He took me fishing when I was six. He'd reconnect with his eyes, after working a week of police shift work, and family absence. He understood there was more to life than grades, yet he knew we'd have to play the game. He attended my baseball games, chased a salesman out the door of our home, loved a week at the shore, and often melted into my mom in a kitchen full of kids. He was my coach, my parole officer, my conscience, my debater, and my friend. Early in our family, he led us to the confessional. Later, he would caution our naivety in a changed church. He was a simple man who knew how vicious life could turn.

He died in his bed last year, after waiting for me to help him from his day long perch on his couch. He was tired, but knew I needed to tell him. Tell him straight out, "Dad, you know I love you?" And for that, I got a toothless smile that almost cracked his cheeks.

He came to mind, because of his telephone answering machine greetings. For a couple of years, he would make a new telephone greeting each day. They all began with: "Did you ever notice...." They were unique, thought provoking, and witty. Many who knew of these treasures, would call the house, just to hear the newest question.

Did you ever notice, if a society bankrupts its morals, it's future identity is relative?

1 comment:

Sean Hargadon said...

Thanks, Dad, for these memories of CJ.